World's Columbian Exposition (1893: Chicago, Ill.) and Putnam, F.W. (Frederic Ward), 1839-1915, Official catalogue of exhibits on the Midway Plaisance (Chicago: W. B. Conkey, 1893)
ISOLATED EXHIBITS--MIDWAY PLAISANCE.
In this village may be seen a number of Irish peasant girls working at their
occupations, such as needle point lace making from the Presentation Convent Youghal,
County Cork; tambour and run lace making from the Limerick school of lace
making; applique and guipure lace making from Carrickmacross, County Monahan.
Crochet making from the Irish Industries Association at Clones, County Fermanagh;
pillow lace making from Garryhill, County Carlow; handloom weaving from Carrick,
County Donegal; knitting from Valentia Island, County Kerry; sprigging from Garryhill,
County Carlow; bog oak carving from the Irish industries Association of Dublin; wood
carving represented by a working carver from the Home Arts and Industries Association
of Ireland; making of antique Irish jewelry by a representative from the workshops in
connection with the Irish Industries Association in Dublin; glass engraving by a Dublin
The Working Dairy, managed by three students from the Munster Dairy School,
brought over by the Countess of Aberdeen expressly to illustrate the progress of Irish
butter making and dairy produce in the last three or four years.
Besides these attractions the Village contains a model of the old ruins of the rock
Cashel, a fac-simile of the cloisters of Muckross Abbey, and in the west end an exact reproduction
of Blarney Castle, including a piece of the famous Blarney stone.
Libby Glass Company manufacture and have for sale American, Venetian and Bohemian
glass and glass ware; also appliances showing the process of melting glass, pressing,
moulding, blowing, hand making, cutting, decorating, engraving and etching glass, glass
spinning and weaving.
Exhibit and manufacture Venetian blown and hand-made glass; both colorless and
colored; chandeliers, wall brackets, candelabras, table sets and glass for daily use; also
imitations of antique glass of the oldest ages, and Venetian renaissance glass. Also show
and manufacture mural decorative mosaics, both for ecclesiastic and domestic purposes.
Drogheda Gate.—This structure is a reproduction of the St. Lawrence gate of
Drogheda, Ireland. It is composed of two towers, 40 feet high, flanking a gateway,
with arches 9½ feet wide and 12 feet high. The ticket office and toilet-rooms, and a small
booth for the sale of photographs, catalogues, etc., are located in these towers.
Cottages.—There are seven cottages including the smithy; all built in close
of types common in Ireland. Each cottage is devoted to one particular industry,
which may be seen in operation, carried on by one or more natives from Ireland. The
industries represented are those of carving, ornamental iron work, weavings of art linens
and homespun goods, the Kells embroidery and needle work and lace making.
The Castle Hall.—An accurate reproduction at one-half the full size of the ruins of
Donegal Castle, the property of the Earl of Arran. The main structure, 56 feet in height
forms a lofty hall, 60×31 feet in extent, devoted to the exhibition and sale of the embroideries,
laces, homespun, damasks and other artistic products of the Donegal Industrial Fund.
Here also, will be placed an exhibition of paintings by Irish artists, the collossal statue of
Gladstone, by Bruce Joy. the Irish sculptor, and a gallery of portraits of famous Irishmen.
Tower garden—This portion of the grounds, lying north of the ruined keep of the
castle, presents somewhat the aspect of certain Irish burial grounds adjacent to the abbeys
of olden times, of which the Celtic round towers are the most striking features. One of
these is reproduced here, measuring 100 feet in height, 15 feet in diameter at the base and
9 at the top, with four windows to the cardinal points in the upper portion and smaller windows
in other parts. Crosses and druidical stones, reproductions of actual examples
from Ireland, are also to be seen here. Drinks, tea and feed will be served in the cool,
Lecture Hall—In this building, entered from the tower garden and from the castle
hall, concerts and illustrated lectures are given from time to time upon subjects connected
with the cottage life and industries of Ireland.
1. Ethnological collection consisting of arms, implements, household goods,
utensils, etc., from different parts of Africa, 490 numbers; from New Caledonia, 373; from
New Guinea, 40; from different small islands of the South Sea, 406; from British Columbia,
823; from Greenland, 80; from Ceylon, 128; total, 2,340 numbers.
5. Collection of 200 monkeys, alive, in 40 different varieties, among which are the
rarest specimens, as chimpanzee from South Africa, gibbon from Borneo, ourang-outangs
and cat monkeys from Madagascar
6. Collection of parrots; 2,000 parrots alive, in 120 different varieties; largest
ever seen, from the smallest to the largest specimens, and comprising rarest varieties,
as black cockatoos from New Guinea, and black parrots from Madagascar, which never
have been exhibited before.
The exhibit from Johore and the Straits settlements consists of a small village,
houses, about twenty-five natives, and a large stock of goods for sale. The exhibit from
the Samoan and Fiji Islands consisting of bread-fruit tree houses, a small theatre, about
twenty-five natives, and a stock of goods. The exhibit from the Hawaiian Islands consists
of grass houses, a few natives, and stock of goods for sale; also a theatre with native
This village gives an exact representation of a native village as found in the
Regencies, West Java (Dutch East Indies.) In the centre is an aloon-aloon, or public
square; around which are grouped the principal buildings; a theatre, in which is performed
the wajang wong (a sort of pantomine in which the actors do not speak, their part being
recited by the delang); also dancing accompanied by a native orchestra (gamelan) of
Opposite the theatre is the masigit or Mahommedan church, an observation tower of
bamboo, and the manager's house. At the end is the house and garden of the native chief.
In the centre is a kiosk, in which coffee, tea and cocoa are served; this can also be had in
the covered garden north of the theatre. An orang outang from Sumatra has his cage
under the trees just in front of the monumental bamboo entrance.
Right and left are streets with the houses of the natives, which number 125, among
which are 36 women. On the balconies in front of the houses the natives work just as if
they were in Java, giving a good insight into the way in which they manufacture the silk
and gold embroideries, batik work (dyeing of cotton, etc., by means of hot wax), filigree
work, mattings, etc., etc.
A complete collection of models of native household utensils and agricultural
Appliances for games, weapons of wood, bamboo, iron and steel. Also models of
carriages, wagons and bridges. Oil paintings by a celebrated native artist are shown;
also some Buddhist statuary, which is very valuable.
From that point the spectator views the long chain of the Bernese Oberland, showing
their vast masses of snow of an immaculate whiteness and their inummerable azure tinted
glaciers. They are the Yungfrau 14,500 feet, the Silverhorn, Breithorn, Tsheingelhorn, and
the Blumlisalp on the right, on the left the Moench, and the gigantic Eiger, the Shreckhorn,
Wetterhorn, the Titlis and far away the mountains of Uri.
The valley widens in the direction of Thun, and the blue lake of Thun which bathes
Beatenberg and the Niegen may be seen in the distance. The valley of Lauterbrunnen,
the waterfall of of the Staubach, the valley of Grindelwald with its village. Also the Faulhorn
the Scheinigge-Platte, the Schudegg and the Hohenweg, the valley of Twerluctschinon
and the plain of Interlaken. The town of Interlaken is distinctly seen. The view
extends to the far away Zura in the Cantons of Neuchatel and Sotothurn. The platform is
formed with real rocks and is covered with grass and Alpine flowers, such as the gentiane,
yellow arnica, the rododendrons or "Rose of the Alps."
The German Village covers a space of 780 by [225 feet. It has two entrances: one
leading into the village proper and one leading into a restaurant and concert garden. The
center of the entire space is occupied by a mediæval stronghold, surrounded by a moat and
approachable by two drawbridges. This stronghold in itself is divided into two different
sections. One of them the eastern half, is used as an ethnographic museum. It consists
of two large halls, one vestibule and a castle-chapel. The collection consists chiefly of
implements of war and of the chase, illustrative of all periods, beginning with the prehistoric
and ending with the renaissance. The center hall of the castle contains also a group
in wax, being an apotheosis of the German Empire and consisting of the figure of Germania,
surrounded by German heroes from Arminius down to William I. This group is
surrounded by a gathering of German peasants of all sections of the Empire in national
costumes, doing homage to their heroes.
In the shadow of the castle, to the east of it, the village proper is grouped. It
of a Hessian rural town-hall, a Black Forest house, a Westphalian house, an Upper
Bavarian house and a Spreewald house. The Hessian town-hall, like the castle, contains a
part of the ethnographic collection; each of the farm-houses mentioned above contains
installations of dwelling-rooms, typical of those sections of the German Empire, which the
To the west of the castle is situated the concert garden, surrounded on two sides
open restaurant-halls. Here two German military bands, one of infantry and one of cavalry,
give two concerts daily.
Along the north side of the concert garden rows of booths are erected, within which
exhibitions of German industries are made. Similar booths are also scattered throughout
the village, east of the castle. Among the industries represented are the following
Jewelry, leather goods, optical goods, toys, amber, [ meerschaum, ivory goods, shell goods,
wood carving, fans, gloves, perfumery, glass goods, porcelain, embroidery, toilet articles,
aluminum and other metal goods, ceramics, etc.—Wherever practicable, the manufacturing
of the goods is illustrated by workmen in national costumes, About forty people, male
and female are employed in that way.
The two military bands consist of seventy-four men, being two full regimental
one of forty-eight in uniform of a regiment of foot-guards, and one of twenty-six in uniform
of the guard du corps.
Exhibitors: German Ethnographic Exposition Co., Limited. Management, B. Dernburg,
General Director, Berlin; C. B. Schmidt, General Manager, Chicago; Dr. Ulrich Jahn
Director Scientific Department. Honorary Committee Science and Art: Prof. Eugen
Bracht, A. Meyer Cohn, banker; Prof. Rudolf Virchow, Dr. A. Voss, director Royal Museum
of Ethnography; Mr. Wallot, builder of the German Reichstag building. All of Berlin
buildings erected after plans by Karl Hoffacker, architect, Berlin.
2. Collection of arms, Zschille. Development of armor, with special reference to
Germany, comprising the period from the prehistoric times up to the seventeenth century.
Largest private collection. Cost to owner, 1,600,000 marks. Exhibitor, Richard Zschille
member of the Municipal Council, Grossenhain, Saxony.
3. Collection of knives and forks, Zschille. Development of knife, fork and spoon,
with special reference to Germany, beginning with the prehistoric period. The only collection
of its kind in the world. Cost to owner, 400,000 marks. Exhibitor, Richard Zschille,
member of the Municipal Council, Grossenhain, Saxony.
4. Collection of Mannfeld, comprising all etchings of Bernhard Mannfeld, and
the general development of the same. Three hundred and fifty pieces. Exhibitors,
Dr. Ulrich Jahn and Richard Zschille, member of the Municipal Council, Grossenhain,
6. Collection of German national dresses, on figures, with special regard to the
of anthropolgy and national history. Modeled by Castan Bros., Berlin. Exhibitors,
German Ethnographic Exposition Co.
7. Germania group, including Germania-Arminius, Charlemagne, Otto the Great,
Maximilian, William I, in historically true representations. Figures modeled by
Castan Bros., Berlin. Exhibitors, Verch & Flothow, Charlottenburg, Berlin.
9. Statute of a Roman legionary and a Franconia warrior, Roman, Franco-Almain and
Gallo-Germanic trophies. Collection of decorations and arms in imitations. Exhibitors'
Romano-German Central Museum of Mainz.
16. Three models, one each of an Ostenfelder (Schleswig-Holstein), a Schwalmer
(Hessia) and a Tegernsee (Upper Bavaria) house, to represent the three principal types of
German rural dwellings, of Lower Saxony, Franconia, and South Germany. Made by A.
Keppsch, architect, Lübbenau. Exhibitors: German Ethnographic Exposition Co.
19. Interior of a rural Gothic dwelling. Ceiling and wall wainscoting with complete
furniture. Strictly original. About 1480. The Gothic fire-place is unique. Exhibitors:
German Ethnographic Exposition Co.
21. Alemain rural room interior. Ceiling and wall wainscoting with complete
Strictly original. About 1650, late German renaissance. Of great historical interest
the fire-place. Exhibitors: German Ethnographic Exposition Co.
The mosque is a reproduction of the mosque of the Sultan, Selim, and is decorated
and furnished in the same manner as the great mosque of Turkey. It is open to visitors at
all times, except during prayer hours.
The grand bazar contains forty booths, where goods peculiar to the country can be
bought, such as embroideries, rugs, carpets, silverware filigree peculiar to the orient, brassware
and precious stones, jewelry, old arms, antiquities, etc.
Bedouin Camp.—North of the bazar a Sheikh and his family and part of his tribe are
camped, showing all the features of home life in the desert; they brought with them
camels, dromedaries, Arabian horses, and arms peculiar to Arabia; near this camp is a
reproduction of one of the chief palaces of the city of Damascus.
Consists of a temple, mosque, theatre, sixty-two shops and two sebils, or drinking
Also representation of a merchant's residence of the fifteenth century. Native
Egyptians manufacture and have for sale Egyptian and Arabian jewelry, brasswork,
embroidery, cigarette and smokers' articles, potteries of lower and upper Egypt, tents and
decorated cloth for hangings, furniture, antiquities, Red sea shells, perfumes, Egyptian
seals and signets, sweets and flowers, verses from the Koran; also Soudanese articles, viz.,
whips, spears, shields, arrows and household articles.
Drivers with camels and donkeys are in attendance for the use of visitors. From
8 A. M. to 11 A. M. is presented a characteristic street scene, a wedding procession, alternating
with a "mouled," or birthday festival, with a market fair in tents.
The carved woodwork (moushiabie) in front of the windows has served for ages in
Egyptian buildings. Every molding, every bracket, under projecting second stories,
every arch and lintel, is copied from originals.
This structure has the architectural characteristics of an Egyptian temple of the
and nineteenth dynasties (1800 B. C. to 1400 B. C). It resembles more particularly the
Temple of Luxor (which was built by Amenoph III, 1550 B. C., and added to by Ramses II
1400 B. C.), with its monolithic obelisks, colossal statues and sphinxes. On the outer walls
of the temple are sculptured battle scenes, worshipping of divinities, etc. The two obelisks
are fac-similies in wood of the original monolithic obelisks in red granite or syenite. They
are 75 feet in height and 5 feet square at the base. The hieroglyphic inscriptions are
sculptured in the wood and gilt. The obelisk on the right hand as you enter the temple
has sculptured on it in the hieroglyphic language a dedication to the World's Columbian
Exposition in the person of the President of the United States of America.
These photographs are projected to a size ten times that of life by the electric
upon a large screen; and after a descriptive analysis the successive phases are combined
and put in motion with the semblance of actual life, by an apparatus called zoopraxiscope,
thus reproducing athletic contests, horse races, etc., in a perfectly realistic manner.
Native workmen manufacture and sell goods peculiar to Persia, viz., carpets, rugs,
embroideries, engraved brasswork, jewelry, precious stones, woodwork, etc. Also a restaurant
in which are served the daintiest of Persia, and a cafe in which coffee and the
Persian tea may be obtained. Counters at which may be obtained refreshments
and sweets peculiar to Persia and a theatre in which gladiators and wrestlers perform.
The road is an elevated structure, and the rail has a broad, flat top. Instead of
wheels the body of the car is supported by hollow iron shoes that rest upon the rail; the
water that is fed into the cavity of the shoe under pressure, escapes between the rail and
the shoe during motion. The hydraulic pressure is adapted to the weight to be sustained
so that the shoes, lifted by the expelling force, are separated from the surface of the rail by
a mere film of water. The cars being relatively light, and the friction on the film of water
hardly appreciable, comparatively little power is needed to propel the train at great speed.
This power is supplied from standing pipes near the center of the track, a jet of water
being forced from them against a bucket-like contrivance repeated continuously under
each car. These standing pipes are so spaced that by the time the rear of the train is
leaving the pipe that is propelling it the head of the train will be automatically opening
the jet of another pipe. As the train passes each pipe automatically closes. On the return
trip another branch of the standing pipes supplies the power. The water, leaving the
buckets and the shoes, falls into troughs, which conduct it back to the power-stations,
where it is used over again. Aside from high speed the absence of jar and noise is a great
Moorish Palace, Palm Garden, Moorish Castle, Harem, Cave, Kaleidoscope, Wax
Figures, etc. The garden is filled with a number of palm trees with mirrors set between,
so that impressions are multiplied by the thousand. A number of Arabs in armor and other
figures in wax heighten the effect; also a fathomless well (the illusion being produced by
The second floor of the palace contains the following scenes in wax: "Assassination
of Lincoln;" "Martin Luther and his Family;" "Louis Castan, the Sculptor, in his Studio;"
"Robert Koch in his Laboratory;" "Christ and the Samaritan Woman at the Well;" "Little
Red Riding Hood;" "A Moorish Execution;" "The Poacher;" "Vagabonds in Stocks;"
"Niente da Fare;" "Behind the Scene;" "The Fountain of Perennial Youth;" "Hearts are
Trumps;" "The Sleeping Oriental Beauty;" "Whose Treat is This?" "On Guard;" "Don't
Cry;" "You Can't Make me White, Honey;" "Musicians from the Appenines;" "The Dying
Zouave;" "Public Punishment of Scolds in the Middle Ages." The execution of Marie
Antoinette, also the original guillotine used. In the background is a diorama, 33 feet by
20, painted by Fischler, of Berlin, representing the Place de la Concorde at Paris at the
time of the execution.
Occupies a space of 60×400 feet. On the one end a two-story pavilion 60×90, on the
opposite end boiler and machine house 28×70. Around the outer edge of the concession
are erected tracks for sleighing or coasting, total length of 875 feet.
On leaving the first floor of the pavilion the sleighs are elevated to a height of 30
by a cable system, acting on automatic grips. From the highest point the sleighs will run
on a continuous incline until they return into the pavilion whence they started.
Four trains of sleighs, each carrying sixteen people. Over the whole length of the
track snow is made and maintained by exposing the cold plames produced by expanding
ammonia gas in pipes laid under the tracks, which snow is as beautiful and white as ever
produced in the natural way in winter weather, as it is principally made by condensation
from the atmosphere.
This model was begun in 1600 and finished in 1700, from the plans of the most
architects, viz., Bramante, Raffaelles, San Gallo, Michael Angelo, Vingnola, Carlo
Moderno and Bernini. It is carved wood and coated with a substance which perfectly imitates
marble, reproducing the exact color of the original structure. The minutest details
of the bas-relief of the facade, the stucco and the statues and the inscriptions are faithfully
reproduced. It is constructed on a scale of one-sixtieth part of the original cathedral,
measuring about 30 feet in length, by 15 feet in width and 15 feet in height, and is exhibited in
a building of Roman style. In the interior of this building are portraits of several of
the popes, together with a number of Papal coats-of-arms of large dimensions. Arranged
in the corners of this building are four small, ancient models as follows:
St. Agnese Church is represented in both its interior and exterior aspects, and is
of different colored marbles. This church was erected by Pope Inniocenzo X of the Doria
Panfili, and by whose command this model was made, measuring, as it does, 16×16×24
inches. This an unique model carved in wood, representing the Roman Pantheon of
Agrippa in its interior and exterior.
Consists of one theatre, seating 1,200 people; fifty booths or bazaars, ten kiosks,
concert hall and a large bazaar; also a Kabyle and Algerian tent. In the theatre are
represented dances and songs of Tunis, Algiers and Kabyle, including the Assiiaeu dance,
commonly known as the torture dance.
In the shops, or bazaars, are found goods of Algerian and Tunisian manufacture,
jewelry, etc.; and in separate booths are shown workmen manufacturing their
native clothing, embroideries and jeweled goods; also booths in which native arms,
daggers, swords, shields, etc., are for sale. The Bazaar proper contains a very choice
selection of rugs and tapestries, brass work and goods of all kinds peculiar to Algiers; also
an elegant kiosk of mosaic work manufactured for special exhibit. In the booths are also
exhibited a very extensive line of native cutlery, jewels and fancy goods. In the Tunisian
cafe the service is Tunisian, Tunisian cooking, etc. The entire village is decorated with
tiles brought directly from Algiers.
"Old Vienna," a street of Vienna as it was one hundred and fifty years ago,
of thirty-six houses, original size, with a City Hall (Rathhaus), a church and thirty-four
dwellings andstore houses in the styles of the end of seventeenth and beginning of eighteenth
centuries. The whole covers 590 feet in length and 195 feet wide.
True Vienna life in a refined and idealized manner is shown. Several of the
processes typical of Vienna and the Austrian industry and art manufactures are
shown, viz., wood, amber, meerschaum and ivory turning and carving; engraving and painting
on glass, modeling of statuary work and bronzes, embroidering, manufacture of laces,
of leatherware, jewelry, enamels, and other processes—altogether, forty shops.
A captive balloon, operated by a thirty-horse power steam windlass. Balloon proper
is 60 feet in diameter and 90 feet in height when attached to basket. One hundred thousand
cubic feet of hydrogen gas manufactured on the ground in an apparatus specially
constructed for that purpose, fills the balloon made in frame of pongee silk, exactly the
same as the one used during the Paris Exposition in 1889. It will carry from 15 to 20 passengers
to a height of 1,200 feet.
First floor is a theatre where performances are given by the Hungarian Ethnographic
Concert Company, of Buda-Pesth, introducing the characteristic features of Hungarian
peasant life and mode of living and dress of the Slavs. Transylvanian Saxons, Romans,
Vends and Croats.