Pencil sketch of Panel for Pier Caps facing East of Chemistry Building (now Keck Hall)
Panels for pier caps facing east. Sheet 65. Pencil on tracing paper.
The Chemistry Building (now Keck Hall) was built in 1925. Four proposed capitals feature: the three fates of academic destiny: Samuel Glenn McCann, Registrar; Harry Caldwell, dean of the Institute, who is measuring (by grades) the thread of knowledge; and Dr. Radoslav Tsanoff, chairman of the Committee on Examinations and Standings who severs the academic thread with a pair of shears. A freshman in Chemistry 100 with his Bunsen burner, extracting poison from the dragon's tooth; William Ward Watkin with a T-square in hand. Architectural students are bowing down in respect. Winged dragon with the head of Harry B. Weiser, Dean of Rice Institute, Chairman of the Chemistry Department.
Places; Rice University--History
Citable link to this pagehttps://hdl.handle.net/1911/81943
MetadataShow full item record
- Places