Construction of West Hall (Hanszen College), Rice Institute
Black and white photograph of construction of West Hall (now Hanszen College)
West Hall was the last of the dormitories designed by Cram & Ferguson to be built on Rice Institute campus. Among its features are glazed ceramic discs made by the Enfield P&T Co, Enfield, Pennsylvania, a cloister arcade supported on piers rather than columns and stone detailing on its windows and stairway doors. When Rice introduced the residential college system in 1957, the college was named Hanszen College for Harry C. Hanszen, an independent oil operator and chairman of the board of trustees from 1946-1950.
Places; Rice University--History
Citable link to this pagehttp://hdl.handle.net/1911/78860
MetadataShow full item record
- Places