Texas Artillery, Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery records (MS 295)
The Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery was part of the Texas Light Artillery, forming the 8th Field Battery of the Army of the Confederate States of America. In 1861 the Battery was stationed near Brownsville, later moving to the Galveston area. The battery was first commander by Capt Robert B. Maclin, CSA. He was transferred in early 1862, and command passed to 1st. Lt P. Fox, CSA. In January 1864 P. Fox, by this time promoted to Captain, was in turn transferred and Capt. A.E. Dege, CSA, took command of the Battery.
The letter book presented here consists of copies of Battery General Orders and letters to higher authority concerning personnel matters, requests for supllies and ordnance, as well as reports of the condition of the horses held by the battery.