The Rice Hotel laundry room
The Rice Hotel laundry room, showing large hampers, folding tables, industrial size fans, with workers moving about the large room, some of their figures blurred with movement. Bright fluorescent lights can be seen overhead, with pipes running along the ceiling and a row of floor-to-ceiling windows along one wall. Original resource is a black and white photograph.
In 1886 William Marsh Rice bought the old Capitol Hotel, built in 1882, for unpaid taxes. Rice University obtained the hotel as a bequest from its owner and renamed it the Rice Hotel. Jesse H. Jones purchased the building in 1911, and in 1913 tore it down and replaced it with a new Rice Hotel. The hotel closed in 1977, but the structure was later redesigned as luxury “loft” apartments and reopened in 1988.
Citable link to this pagehttps://hdl.handle.net/1911/75760
MetadataShow full item record
- Places