Rice Hotel guest room
A guest room at the Rice Hotel. Two beds, two chairs, tables, lamps, an ashtray and a telephone are shown. The drapes are drawn. Original resource is a black and white photograph.
The hotel was built on the site of the old Capitol of the Republic of Texas, which housed the Texas Congress from April 1837 until September 1839. John K. and Augustus Allen retained ownership of the building after the legislature moved to Austin. It was sold in 1857 to R.S. Blount for $12,000. The original building was razed in 1881 by Colonel A. Groesbeck, who subsequently erected an elaborate five-story Capitol Hotel. William Marsh Rice, the founder of Rice University, purchased the building in 1883, added a five-story annex and renamed it the Rice Hotel. Rice University sold the building in 1911 to Jesse Jones, who then demolished the building and built a 17-story structure on the site. The new building opened on May 17, 1913, costing $2.5 million to build. The first air-conditioned public room in Houston, the Rice Hotel Cafeteria, opened on the site in 1922.
Places; Rice University--History; Rice Hotel; Hotels--Texas--Houston; Hotels--Furniture, equipment, etc.
Citable link to this pagehttp://hdl.handle.net/1911/71819
MetadataShow full item record
- Places