Emmanuel Community House, Rice Institute
The Emmanuel Community House, originally built as a temporary facility across Main St. from William M. Rice Institute's main entrance. The building is a single story ell-shaped structure, with a large stovepipe visible on the roof, and a bare tree near the front door. A crowd is standing near the tree. The rear of an automobile is seen, passing along the street which curves out of sight on the right-hand side of the image. A line of trees is visible in the background. The building was purchased by the Reverend Harris Masterson, Jr., to serve as a community house for Rice Institute students and was later rebuilt as the Autry House. Original resource is a black and white photograph.
These two Army mess shacks were moved from Camp Logan to just across Main St. from Rice's main entrance in 1919 by Rev. Harris Masterson, Jr., to serve as a community house for Rice students. Later, Mrs. Allie Kinsloe Autry gave funds in memory of her husband James Lockhart Autry, to build Autry House on the same site, which opened in 1921. Autry House is now part of Palmer Memorial Church, and Rice students gather at the Rice Memorial Center.
Places; Rice University--History; William M. Rice Institute--History; Emmanuel Community House; William M. Rice Institute--Students; More... College students--Texas--Houston; Automobiles--Texas--Houston; Buildings, Temporary--Texas--Houston; Masterson, Harris, Jr., 1881-1935; William M. Rice Institute--Chaplains; Chaplains--Texas--Houston; Autry House (Houston, Tex.)--History Less...
Citable link to this pagehttp://hdl.handle.net/1911/71476
MetadataShow full item record
- Places