Jim West Mansion after renovation: study room with paneled walls
Color photograph of a study in the Jim West Mansion, showing the wood-paneled walls, a table and chairs in the middle of the room, a desk and additional chair, overhead lamps, and bookshelves.
Jim West Mansion was built in Clear Lake in the late 1920s by Houston architect Joseph Finger. The property is located at on 3303 NASA Parkway, adjacent to the current site of the Johnson Space Center. Humble Oil purchased the property from the West estate in 1953, then donated it to Rice University eight years later. The mansion housed the Lunar Science Institute (what later became the Lunar and Planetary Institute) from 1969-1991. Rice again took possession of the mansion, then later sold it to the Pappas family, who sold it to Hakeem Olajuwon in 2006.
Places; Jim West Mansion (Houston, Tex.); Mansions--Texas--Houston; Reading rooms--Texas--Houston; Rice University--History
Citable link to this pagehttp://hdl.handle.net/1911/64778
MetadataShow full item record
- Places