Jim West Mansion after renovation: corridor with arched ceiling
Color photograph of a long corridor with a groin-vaulted ceiling. Closed curtains, likely hiding windows or other openings are along the right side of the hall and pendant ceiling lamps are hung from the center of each arch.
Jim West Mansion was built in Clear Lake in the late 1920s by Houston architect Joseph Finger. The property is located at on 3303 NASA Parkway, adjacent to the current site of the Johnson Space Center. Humble Oil purchased the property from the West estate in 1953, then donated it to Rice University eight years later. The mansion housed the Lunar Science Institute (what later became the Lunar and Planetary Institute) from 1969-1991. Rice again took possession of the mansion, then later sold it to the Pappas family, who sold it to Hakeem Olajuwon in 2006.
Places; Jim West Mansion (Houston, Tex.); Mansions--Texas--Houston; Corridors--Texas--Houston; Rice University--History
Citable link to this pagehttps://hdl.handle.net/1911/64775
MetadataShow full item record
- Places