Jim West Mansion interior before renovation: kitchen counters and cabinets
Black and white photograph of a kitchen in the Jim West Mansion during renovation In the center of the image is a long counter, with a refrigerator along the back wall. To the left is another counter beneath a row of cabinets with glass doors, with a further row of smaller cabinets above, most of them with their doors ajar. A light fixture is in the center of the ceiling, and the ceiling and the back wall appear to have the paint scraped away. The floor is tiled with a diamond pattern.
Jim West Mansion was built in Clear Lake in the late 1920s by Houston architect Joseph Finger. The property is located at on 3303 NASA Parkway, adjacent to the current site of the Johnson Space Center. Humble Oil purchased the property from the West estate in 1953, then donated it to Rice University eight years later. The mansion housed the Lunar Science Institute (what later became the Lunar and Planetary Institute) from 1969-1991. Rice again took possession of the mansion, then later sold it to the Pappas family, who sold it to Hakeem Olajuwon in 2006.
Citable link to this pagehttps://hdl.handle.net/1911/64772
MetadataShow full item record
- Places