Jim West Mansion interior before renovation: first floor staircase and columns
Color photograph of the ground floor of the Jim West Mansion during renovation. A pair of columns are at the base of the stairway, which winds up to the second floor. The staircase has a wrought-iron railing and a narrow stair runner. A narrow arched window or niche is visible along the stairway. The walls and ceiling are very worn. The double doors of the main entrance and their decorated glass panels are visible in the lower right.
Jim West Mansion was built in Clear Lake in the late 1920s by Houston architect Joseph Finger. The property is located at on 3303 NASA Parkway, adjacent to the current site of the Johnson Space Center. Humble Oil purchased the property from the West estate in 1953, then donated it to Rice University eight years later. The mansion housed the Lunar Science Institute (what later became the Lunar and Planetary Institute) from 1969-1991. Rice again took possession of the mansion, then later sold it to the Pappas family, who sold it to Hakeem Olajuwon in 2006.
Places; Jim West Mansion (Houston, Tex.); Mansions--Texas--Houston; Dwellings--Remodeling--Texas--Houston; Rice University--History
Citable link to this pagehttps://hdl.handle.net/1911/64771
MetadataShow full item record
- Places