Jim West Mansion interior before renovation: corridor with arched ceiling
Black and white photograph of an interior corridor in the Jim West Mansion during renovation. The ceiling is segmented into arched sections. The projection of outside light is visible on the lower portion of the wall to the left. A scattering of debris lies along the edges of the walls.
Jim West Mansion was built in Clear Lake, Texas in the late 1920s by Houston architect Joseph Finger. The property is located on 3303 NASA Parkway, adjacent to the current site of the Johnson Space Center. Humble Oil purchased the property from the West Estate in 1953, then donated it to Rice University eight years later. The mansion housed the Lunar Science Institute (what later became the Lunar and Planetary Institute) from 1969-1991. Rice University again took possession of the mansion, then later sold it to the Pappas family, who sold it to Hakeem Olajuwon in 2006.
Places; Jim West Mansion (Houston, Tex.); Rice University--History
Citable link to this pagehttp://hdl.handle.net/1911/64770
MetadataShow full item record
- Places