Five Corinthian sloops purchased by Houston Yacht Club in 1946
AuthorHouston Yacht Club
This purchase was one signal of the Houston Yacht Club's return to normal social activities and sailing competitions after World War II. The war brought rations for tires and gasoline, the motor car train stopped running, and there was no other way to travel to Galveston Bay. The hurricanes of 1942 and 1943 caused serious damage to the club's buildings. The purchase of the six Corinthians, sloops of 21 feet with 500-pound keels, also signaled the end of the Fish class on Galveston Bay, although some of the Fish class boats still competed from time to time for the next few years. No longer maintaining the old Fish boats, Houston Yacht Club could no longer be a member of the Gulf Yachting Association and compete in the Lipton Regattas. The Corinthians remained a popular boat on Galveston Bay for the next 30 years.
Houston Yacht Club--History