Image of William Ward Watkin in his architectural office, Houston
William Ward Watkin in his architectural office, Scanlan Building, 11th floor, Houston, circa. 1919-1923
Architect William Ward Watkin (1886-1952) served as the first Supervising Architect for Rice Institute, overseeing the construction of the first campus buildings. Watkin also taught in Rice's Architecture Dept. and designed many Houston buildings such as the original Museum of Fine Arts, Houston building, the original downtown Houston Public Library building (now known as the Julia Ideson Building), and many notable residences. His daughter Ray Watkin Strange is a philanthropist and generous donor to Rice University.