The Married Ladies Social Art and Charity Club paper
Draft of a paper entitled "The Married Ladies Social Art and Charity Club Historical Highlights."
Twelve ladies of Houston's Black elite held a meeting in 1902 where they organized a non-profit club known as The Married Ladies Social, Art, and Charity Club. The purpose for which the Club was organized was to engage in charitable benevolent and social undertakings in Houston, Harris County, Texas, to promote the social welfare of its members, the youth, and the elderly and to inspire its members along intellectual, industrial and artistic lines. The original Club by-laws limited membership to seventy five respectable lawfully married women living with their husbands, and who measured up to the moral, spiritual, and social ideals of the Club. The Club is the oldest surviving civic organization of Black women in the city and in the state of Texas. (From the Married Ladies Social Art and Charity Club Historical Highlights paper.)