Handwritten account of first meeting of Houston Art League on March
17, 1900. The account discusses the motivation behind the establishment of the Houston
Art League and provides the names of those in attendance.
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston's (MFAH) predecessor, the Houston
Art League was founded in 1900 under the name of the Houston Public School Art League.
The League was chartered as the Houston Art League in 1913. In 1917, the League
dedicated the site of the MFAH's present Caroline Wiess Law building. The original
segment of the building was designed by William Ward Watkin. It was completed in 1924,
with the wings added two years later. In 1929, the Houston Art League charter with the
state of Texas was officially amended to change the organization's legal name to the
Museum of Fine Arts of Houston (later, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston).
Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Archives
|dc.rights||This material is in the public domain. Creative Commons license:
Attribution 3.0 Unported. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/
Account of first meeting of Houston Art League
Digitization provided by Engraphix Imaging Systems, Inc.
RG19 Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Houston Art League
minutes (administrative records)