Account of first meeting of Houston Art League
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston's (MFAH) predecessor, the Houston Art League was founded in 1900 under the name of the Houston Public School Art League. The League was chartered as the Houston Art League in 1913. In 1917, the League dedicated the site of the MFAH's present Caroline Wiess Law building. The original segment of the building was designed by William Ward Watkin. It was completed in 1924, with the wings added two years later. In 1929, the Houston Art League charter with the state of Texas was officially amended to change the organization's legal name to the Museum of Fine Arts of Houston (later, the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston).
Handwritten account of first meeting of Houston Art League on March 17, 1900. The account discusses the motivation behind the establishment of the Houston Art League and provides the names of those in attendance.