Miller Outdoor Theatre
AuthorSchlueter, Frank J.
Young dancers at old Miller Theatre in Hermann Park in Houston, Texas.
Miller Outdoor Theatre was named for the late Houston mining engineer Jesse Wright Miller. The first Miller Outdoor Theatre opened in 1923. It was a classic Doric poscenium structure that featured 20 Corinthian columns on either side of the stage. Some of the surviving columns may still be seen, grouped around a circular pool forming the Mecom-Rockwell Colonnade at the entrance to Hermann Park. The second Miller Outdoor Theatre is a 1,582-seat facility located on the site of the first theatre. The second theatre officially opened in August 1968.