Now showing items 1-20 of 22

    • 2225 City Park (postcard) 

      (1910-01-01)
      Sam Houston Park is the first and oldest municipal park in the city and currently comprises nineteen acres on the edge of the downtown business district in Houston, Texas. City Park was dedicated in 1899 and renamed to Sam Houston Park in 1903. The Heritage Society has submitted an application to the Houston Planning ...
    • 2226 Lake in City Park (postcard) 

      (1908-01-01)
      Sam Houston Park is the first and oldest municipal park in the city and currently comprises nineteen acres on the edge of the downtown business district in Houston, Texas. City Park was dedicated in 1899 and renamed to Sam Houston Park in 1903. Sam Houston Park has been designated as Protected Landmark by the City ...
    • Band concert in City Park (postcard) 

      (1901-01-01)
      The central bandstand was built in 1901. One hundred benches were placed around the bandstand to provide seating for the concert audiences. The city offered free band concerts twice a week. According to a March 28, 1937 article in the Houston Post, 4,000 people routinely came for Sunday evening band concerts.
    • Children's Play Ground in Sam Houston Park 1909 (postcard) 

      (1909-01-01)
      The playground was built in the early 1900's. The equipment originally included swings, climbing poles and ropes, a seesaw, giant strides, sliding bars, and a teeter ladder. The original equipment was made of wood, but it was later replaced with steel pieces.
    • City Park (postcard) 

      (1913-01-01)
      Nathaniel Kellum built the Kellum-Noble house in 1847. Is is the only historic building in the park located on its original site. It was restored by The Heritage Society as much to its original configuration as possible in the mid-1950's.
    • House and bell at Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1910-01-01)
      The bell from the U.S.S. Harriet Lane, a copper-plated, naval steamer seized in the Battle of Galveston on January 1, 1983, was installed in the park in 1903. The Harriet Lane bell is currently held in the collection of the Museum of Southern History, Houston, TX.
    • House and bell at Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1909-01-01)
      The bell from the U.S.S. Harriet Lane, a copper-plated, naval steamer seized in the Battle of Galveston on January 1, 1983, was installed in the park in 1903. The Harriet Lane bell is currently held in the collection of the Museum of Southern History, Houston, TX.
    • Old Mill at Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1908-01-01)
      In the early 1900's a greenhouse was built on the park grounds where gardeners grew the exotic plants used in the lavious landscaping. The landscaped grounds included a water mill and several small lakes.
    • Old Mill at Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1910-01-01)
      In the early 1900's a greenhouse was built on the park grounds where gardeners grew the exotic plants used in the lavish landscaping. The landscaped grounds included a water mill and several small lakes.
    • Park House at Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1907-01-01)
      The bell from the U.S.S. Harriet Lane, a copper-plated, naval steamer seized in the Battle of Galveston on January 1, 1983, was installed in the park in 1903. The Harriet Lane bell is currently held in the collection of the Museum of Southern History, Houston, TX.
    • Public Play Ground at Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1909-01-01)
      The playground was built in the early 1900's. The equipment originally included swings, climbing poles and ropes, a seesaw, giant strides, sliding bars, and a teeter ladder. The original equipment was made of wood, but it was later replaced with steel pieces.
    • Sam Houston Park (postcard) 

      (1907-01-01)
      Sam Houston Park is the first and oldest municipal park in the city and currently comprises nineteen acres on the edge of the downtown business district in Houston, Texas. City Park was dedicated in 1899 and renamed to Sam Houston Park in 1903. The Heritage Society has submitted an application to the Houston Planning ...
    • San Felipe Cottage (postcard) 

      (1984-01-01)
      In the 1960's The Heritage Society began relocating historical buildings to the park. One of those buildings was the San Felipe Cottage, built in 1868 by German immigrants William and Justina Ruppersberg.