Equestrian statue of King Carlos IV of Spain, by sculptor and architect Manuel Tolsa
The statue, nicknamed 'El Caballito' (The Pony), or, less affectionately, 'El Caballito de Troya' (The Trojan Pony), was originally unveiled in 1803 in the Plaza Mayor, before being moved in 1822 to the old University and again, in 1852, to the site depicted in the photo, near the Paseo de la Reforma, before finally being sited on Calle de Tacuba, in the Alameda district. Reputedly the first bronze statue to be cast in the Western Hemisphere and still one of the largest.
Sepia Photograph, 7.25" x 4.5". Women in serapes outside statue enclosure, with unidentified buildings in background.
MetadataShow full item record
- Visual Materials