Fondren Library embraces the American Library Association’s value of sustainability, affirming that “(l)ibraries play an important and unique role in promoting community awareness about resilience, climate change and a sustainable future. They are also leading by example by taking steps to reduce their environmental footprint.”
As the library’s Sustainability Plan (written in 2019) explains, Fondren aims to:
- Promote sustainable approaches to library spaces, including energy efficiency, reduced water usage, and an orientation toward wellness
- Reduce resource consumption
- Deepen library support for research and teaching in sustainability
- Collect and preserve environmentally-focused information and materials, especially those produced by Rice faculty and students
- Engage with the Rice community to foster a culture of sustainability
Additional information about sustainability at Fondren can be found on the library’s website.
Collections in this community
(2020-10-28)From fires to floods, the consequences of climate change are increasingly evident, and underserved communities often face the most severe impacts. Inspired by Dr. Ayana Elizabeth Johnson and Dr. Katharine Wilkinson’s All ...
(2019)As awareness of climate change and other environmental and social problems grow, many libraries and librarians are dedicating themselves to sustainability, “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising ...