HOUSTON, a city which did not then exist, was first advertised by its founders, A. C. and
J. K. Allen, on August 30, 1836. The ad was inserted in Borden's
Telegraph and Register,
printed at Columbia. It was the only paper in Texas at the time.
In November, eight months after Texas had won her independence at San Jacinto battlefield,
the Congress of the Republic of Texas, meeting at Columbia, chose Houston as the seat of
government until 1840. In January, 1837, the government moved to Houston from Columbia.
There was not a completed wooden house in Houston at the time.
“Upon landing we found stakes and footprints,” says Francis Lubbock, later to be elected
governor, who moved with the government to Houston. “Following these up the bank we saw
some tents. One large one was a saloon. Several small houses were in course of erection.”
During 1837 work was begun on Houston's first hotel, the Mansion House, located on the
corner now occupied by the Southern Pacific offices. The next year an election was held to
determine whether or not the city should be incorporated. The Houstonians voted to do so,
and in the same year the Texas Congress granted the City of Houston a charter.
There is some discussion as to who was the city's first mayor. Some historians say it was
James S. Holman, others Dr. Francis Moore, Jr., who took office in 1838. If Moore was not the
first mayor, he was the second. Those who believe Holman preceded Moore base their opinion
on a document signed in 1837 by “Jas. S. Holman, mayor.” However, he was clerk of the Eleventh
District Court from February, 1837 to 1842, and it is not thought likely that he could have been
mayor at the same time.
Houston's first city limits were the bayou on the north, Walker avenue on the south, Bagby
street on the west and Caroline street on the east. These limits were extended during the Moore
administration to embrace nine square miles. This size was maintained until the reconstruction
period after the Civil War, when it was increased to 25 square miles. When the native Houstonians
regained power of the city government they reduced the limits to the old size of nine square
miles, which was maintained until 1903.
Tradition gives the Moore administration and that of G. W. Lively, who was elected in
1839, credit for placing pine trees across street intersections so that the people could traverse
the streets without bogging.
Charles Biglow became mayor in 1840, and let the contract for a combination city hall,
jail and market house. It was a block long, extending from Preston to Congress avenue, and
was two stories high on one side and one on the other. There was no floor, and the building
became noted for the number of rats it housed.
J. D. Andrews was mayor in 1841 and 1842; Dr. Francis Moore, Jr. was re-elected and served
in 1843; Horace Baldwin in 1844, W. W. Swain in 1845, James Bailey in 1846, and P. B. Buckner
in 1847 and 1848.
Moore became mayor for the third time and served from 1849 to 1852. He was followed
by Nathan Fuller, 1853-54; James H. Stevens, 1855-56; Cornelius Ennis, 1857 and Alexander
Houston's population at the first census in 1850 was 2396. It had increased to 4845 in 1860,
9382 in 1870, 16,513 in 1880, 27,557 in 1890, and 44,633 in 1900.
W. H. King became mayor in 1859, T. W. Whitmarsh in 1860, W. J. Hutchins in 1861.
The first brick buildings in Houston were erected in 1845 by Cornelius Ennis and E. B.
Nichols. The Houston post office was at first located on the west side of Main street. It was
moved nine times before coming to its present location.
T. W. House became mayor in 1862; William Andrews, 1863-65; H. D. Taylor, 1866; A.
McGowan, 1867; J. R. Morris, 1868. T. J. Scanlan was the first mayor to be appointed. He
was named by E. J. Davis, reconstruction governor, in 1870 and served three years. In 1873 the
reconstruction period ended for Texas and the democrats swept into power, electing Governor
Coke. He appointed James T. D. Wilson mayor. Mayors since then have been I. C. Lord,
J. T. D. Wilson, A. J. Burke, W. R. Baker, D. C. Smith, Henry Scherffius, John T. Browne,
H. Baldwin Rice, Sam H. Brashear, O. T. Holt, Andrew L. Jackson, Ben Campbell, J. J. Pastoriza,
Dan Moody (acting mayor) J. C. Hutcheson Jr., Earl Amerman, Oscar F. Holcombe, Walter
In 1910 Houston's population was 78,800, in 1920 it was 138,276, and 292,352 in 1930.
In 1866 promotion for the Ship Channel was begun, and four years later Congress designated
Houston as a port of delivery. The Ship Channel has since been completed at a cost of about
Houston's first bank, with S. M. Williams as president and J. W. McMillan cashier, was
chartered shortly after the founding of Houston. Houston banks now have on deposit about
$170,000,000. The city's industries employ about 36,000 persons with an annual payroll of
more than $63,000,000.
GOVERNOR ROSS S. STERLING
GOVERNOR of Texas, founder of the Humble Oil Company and newspaper publisher, was
born at Anahuac, Chambers Co., on Feb. 11, 1875. He married Miss Maud Abbie Gage in
1898 and is the father of five children. Mr. Sterling launched his first oil enterprise at Humble
in 1910. A year later he founded the Humble Oil Company. He is a former chairman of the Texas
Highway Commission. He is chairman of the board of the Houston Printing Company, which
publishes the Houston
Post-Dispatch. Other interests are the American Maid Flour Mills,
R. S. Sterling Investment Company, Houston National Bank and the First Texas Joint Stock
Land Bank. He built the Post-Dispatch and Sterling Buildings and helped construct the Dayton
and Goose Creek Railroad in 1917. He was chairman of the Houston Port Commission and
trustee of the Hermann Hospital Estate. He belongs to the Houston Club, Houston Country,
Houston Yacht and the Congressional Country Club of Washington, D. C. He is a deacon in
the South End Christian Church and a trustee of T. C. U. He is a Mason, Knight of Pythias,
W. O. W. a member of the United States Chamber of Commerce, and of the Mid-Continent Oil
and Gas Association and the American Petroleum Institute.
ANDREW Y. AUSTIN
VICE-PRESIDENT, secretary and treasurer of the Standard Printing and Lithographing
Company, was born February 22, 1870, at Marlin. He was educated in the public and
high schools of Savannah, Georgia. On July 4, 1909 he was married to Miss Mary Agnes Malloy
of Galveston Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Austin. Mr. Austin is a member of
Sacred Heart Church. He belongs to the Houston Club, Houston Country Club, Lodge No.
151 of the B. P. O. E., and Knights of Columbus. His hobbies are golf, hunting and fishing.
BENJAMIN FRANKLIN BONNER
LUMBERMAN, was born April 14, 1869 in Angelina County. He was educated in the public
schools of the county, and on April 22, 1891, married Miss Annie Wier. He is the father of
two daughters. Mr. Bonner came to Houston in 1894. He established the first oil refinery in
Houston. He was organizer of the Southwestern Oil Company and one of the incorporators and
original directors of both the Houston Oil Company and the Kirby Lumber Company. He has
been president of the Chamber of Commerce and was for several years a member of the Texas
State Democratic Committee. He is now vice-president of the Blodgett Development Company,
the R. W. Wier Lumber Company, the Wier Long Leaf Lumber Company, the Hercules
Printing and Book Company, the San Jacinto Trust Company and the Gulf & Northern Railway
Company. Mr. Bonner belongs to the Masonic Lodge, Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E., the Knights
of Pythias and his clubs are the Houston Country, Houston, Lumbermen's, Salesmanship, Houston
Yacht, and Houston Riding and Polo. He is a member of the First Methodist Church and
likes to hunt and fish.
JOHN MITCHEL BOYLE
PRESIDENT and general manager of the Eureka Laundry and Dye Company, was born at
Shreveport, August 3, 1874. He came to Houston in 1889 and worked two years as a laborer
on the dairy farm of E. H. Benefield. He was an employe of the Henke Ice Company for four
years, and in 1896 worked as a laundry wagon driver. He started with the Burkhart's Laundry
at the age of 23. After five years he started his own concern and since has developed it by dint
of his own efforts into a huge and highly efficient concern. He was educated in the public schools.
In 1903 he married Miss Rosie Iselt of Houston. Mr. Boyle is a member of the Masonic Orders,
Woodmen of the World, Knights of Pythias, Rotary Club and the Turnverein.
EDWARD SEWALL BOYLES
LAWYER, was born at Houston on April 18, 1889. He graduated from the public and high
schools of Houston with highest honors. In 1906 he entered the academic and law departments
of the University of Texas, graduating in the class of 1911 with highest honors. Mr.
Boyles married Miss Constance Stayton Weldon at Weldon Ranch, Yorktown, Texas, on October
30, 1918. He began practicing law as soon as he graduated, and now is a member of Boyles,
Brown and Scott, attorneys for the First National Bank. During the war he was head of the
legal department of the Food Administration of Texas. He lives at No. 2 Burlington apartments
and is a member of the Houston Country Club, University Club, Delta Chi Fraternity and the Lawyer's
FRANK CARTER CLEMENS
PRESIDENT of the Cargill Company, was born at Christ Church Rectory, Houston, on
October 23, 1878. He was secretary of the Cargill Company from the time it started operating
in Houston in 1901 until he was made president in 1920. He married Miss Helen Louise Gawlis
at Baltimore on November 7, 1919, and is the father of two children. He has belonged to cadet,
national guard and army organizations since 1894. In 1915 he enlisted in the army as a private
and became a lieutenant, a captain and then a major. He served in France with the 11th Division,
receiving his discharge from service in 1920. He is a member of the Houston Club, Houston
Country Club, Houston Yacht Club, Elks, Kiwanis Club, and Purchasing Agents Association.
He belongs to Christ Episcopal Church and his hobbies are baseball, the army and boy scouts.
HORTON C. COCKBURN
GEOPHYSICAL exploration (oil), was born at Kosse in 1888. He was educated in the
public schools and married Miss Dorothy Bolinger in 1911. The couple have two children.
Mr. Cockburn is president of the Cockburn Oil Corporation and lives at the corner of University
boulevard and Buffalo Speedway He is a Thirty-second Degree Mason, member of Arabia
Shrine, I. O. O. F. and Knights of Pythias. His hobby is locating salt domes.
LUMBERMAN and former representative, senator and lieutenant-governor of Texas, was
born January 3, 1873, on a plantation near Cotile, Louisiana. His father died of yellow fever
in 1878, leaving his mother with two small children to rear. He made his way through high school
by herding sheep and doing odd jobs, graduating at 15. His career as a lumberman started with
a sawmill roustabout job at Groveton. In 1921 he consolidated his lumber companies into one
corporation, Lynch Davidson & Company, with an investment of more than $2,000,000. He is
president of that corporation, director in the Second National Bank, director and vice-president
in the First Texas Joint Stock Land Bank. He was elected to the state legislature in 1918 and
then to the senate. At the next election he became lieutenant-governor, retiring in 1923. He is
a Methodist church member and belongs to the Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis, Houston Club,
Houston Country, Lumbermen's Club, Elks, and River Oaks Club. He married Miss Katy C.
Calvert of Houston on June 26, 1897. They have three children. His hobbies are business and
JOHN A. DEERING
OIL producer, was born at Caldwell, Kansas, on January 6, 1880. He attended public schools,
Caldwell High School, and University of Kansas. Prior to moving to Oklahoma in 1920
he was in the real estate business and stock and farming projects in Kansas. Mr. Deering married
Miss Gladys L. Barrow of Houston on December 31, 1913, and is the father of three daughters.
In Oklahoma and later in Texas he continued his operations in cattle, real estate and later in oil.
He is president of the Traders Oil Company and the Rich Oil Corporation. He is a Mason and
belongs to the First Presbyterian Church. His hobbies are his home and his work.
THOMAS J. DONOGHUE
OIL man and vice-president of the Texas Company, was born at Titusville, Pennsylvania
on May 13, 1869. His ancestors migrated to Canada in 1825 and his parents were born in
Canada. He was educated in public and parochial schools in Pennsylvania, and on December
15, 1896, married Miss Mary Evangelist Sullivan at Bradford, Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs.
Donoghue live at 17 Courtland place and have three children. Mr. Donoghue is a member of
the Knight of Columbus, Houston Club and Houston Country Club. He is a member of the
Catholic Church. His hobby is the Community Chest.
WILLIAM LEONARD EDMUNDSON
BUILDER of residences in owned subdivisions, was born at Galveston, January 15, 1878.
He was educated at St. Edwards University. On April 14, 1903, he married Miss Harriett
K. Paine. Mr. and Mrs. Edmundson have four children and live at 320 Branard avenue. Mr.
Edmundson is vice-president of the Edmundson Refrigerating Corporation and president of the
United Hay Company. He is an Episcopal church member and belongs to the Houston Country
Club and River Oaks Country Club. His hobbies are playing golf and building brick bungalows.
JAMES DAVIS EUBANK
SECRETARY and chairman of the board of Forest Park Cemetery, was born February 21,
1867, in Clare County, Kentucky. He was educated in the public schools and on May 26,
1896, married Miss Brent Forbes. Mr. and Mrs. Eubank have one child. Mr. Eubank is a member
of the First Christian Church and belongs to the Rotary and Houston Country Clubs. He is a
Mason, and a life member of the Shrine and of the Consistory, both in Kansas City, Missouri.
Mr. Eubank attended the international convention of Rotary Clubs in 1927 at Ostend, Belgium,
being at the time president of the Shreveport club. His hobbies are golf and the Rotary Club.
ROBERT DAVIS FARISH
OIL man, was born at Mayersville, Mississippi in 1894. He completed his education at the
University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee. He is a bachelor and a member of the Episcopal
Church. Mr. Farish is president of the Farlyn Oil Company. He lives at 4412 Montrose
Boulevard. He is a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity and of the following clubs:
University, Tejas, Houston, Houston Country, River Oaks County, Houston Riding and Polo,
and Houston Yacht. His hobbies are playing polo and golf.
STEPHEN POWER FARISH
OIL man, was born at Mayersville, Mississippi on May 31, 1891. He completed his education
at Sewanee, the University of the South, and on November 7, 1922, married Miss Lottie
Baldwin Rice. Mr. and Mrs. Farish live at 2306 Crawford street and have two children. He
is president of the Navarro Oil Company, the F. W. C. Royalty Corporation, the York Royalty
Company and the Reed Roller Bit Company. Mr. Farish is a member of the following clubs:
Houston, Houston Country, Houston Yacht, Houston Riding and Polo, Tejas, and the Eagle
Lake Rod and Gun. His church affiliation is with Palmer Memorial Chapel. His hobbies are
polo and hunting.
CHARLES SPENCER FAY
VICE-PRESIDENT and traffic manager of the Southern Pacific Lines,. was born in Minden,
Louisiana on October 23, 1867. He completed his education at Louisiana State University.
On August 14, 1922 he married Miss Clara Schroeder and is the father of four children. He is
a member of Second Presbyterian Church and belongs to the Traffic Club, Houston Country
Club and Houston Club. Mr. Fay lives at 4407 Rossmoyne Boulevard. His hobbies are hunting,
fishing, playing golf and gardening.
MARCELLUS ELLIOT FOSTER
NEWSPAPER publisher and editor, was born at Pembroke, Kentucky on November 29,
1870. His father, a Confederate captain, moved to Texas in 1873 and Mr. Foster grew up
at Huntsville. He was educated in the public schools, in Sam Houston Normal College and Texas
University. He has served in every capacity in the newspaper business, beginning as a printer's
devil on the Huntsville
Item. He came to Houston from the University of Texas and became a
reporter on the Houston
Post. He was financial editor, Sunday editor and finally managing editor
and in 1901 left the
Post to found the Houston Chronicle. The first issue appeared October 14,
1901. He sold the paper in 1926 and on February 9, 1927, became editor of the Houston
Scripps-Howard paper. Mr. Foster is past president of the Southern Newspaper Publisher's
Association, past president of the Texas Editorial Association, and an Episcopal church member.
He belongs to the Houston Club, Houston Country Club, El Caballero (Calif) Country Club,
University Club and Elks lodge. He married Miss Claire Collier LaBarge on March 9, 1919,
and is the father of two daughters. His hobbies are golf and bridge.
JOSEPH H. GANS
VICE-PRESIDENT of the Bennett Oil and Gas Company, Inc., was born at Sealy on May
25, 1888. He was educated at Sealy High School. On October 29, 1919, he married Miss
Huldah Jane Thornton. The couple have no children. Mr. Gans is a member of the First
Methodist Church, and member of the following clubs: River Oaks, Houston Yacht, Lumbermen's
and Colonial Country Club. His favorite diversions are playing golf and hunting. He
lives at 220 Emerson avenue.
HENRY JOSEPH GAZIN
PHARMACIST and manufacturing chemist, was born in 1882 in Glencoe, Minnesota. He
was educated in a high school and in a school of pharmacy. He married Miss Nell Green in
1908. Mr. Gazin is owner of Gazin's Drug Store, and president of both the Medical Arts Drug
Company and the Ben Milam Pharmacy. He belongs to the Houston Country Club and to the
Houston Yacht Club. He is a First Methodist Church Member. Mr. Gazin's hobbies are golf,
overland auto trips and travel. He lives at the Rice Hotel.
GEORGE GRAHAM HALL
SECRETARY-TREASURER of the Sam Houston Hotel Company, Inc., was born at St.
Louis on October 24, 1890. He was educated at Texas A. & M. College, and lives at the
Ben Milam Hotel. He is a member of the Presbyterian church and belongs to the Houston A.
& M. Club, Conopus Club, Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E., Knights of Pythias, and D. O. K. K.
His hobbies are golf and motoring.
JAMES W. HALL
HARRIS County tax collector, was born at Snow Hill in Wilcox County, Alabama on December
8, 1868. His father died when James was 10 and he came to Texas with his mother
and four younger brothers and settled on a farm near Bazette. He ran the farm, went to the
public schools and when he was 21 married Miss Annah L. Terry and went into cotton ginning
and mercantile business. He has been in Houston 26 years, lives at 4111 Connor street and is
the father of four children. Mr. Hall has been county commissioner, a member of the county
board of education, and state representative and senator. He also conducted the Hall Hardware
Company at Houston. He is a member of the Christian Church, I. O. O. F., B. P. O. E.,
Lodge No. 1189, F. & A. M. His hobby is trying to earn a living.
BEVERLY DABNEY HARRIS
SENIOR vice-president of the Second National Bank and vice-president of the Second National
Corporation, was born at Fredericks Hall, Virginia on April 11, 1872. He was educated in
the public schools of Dallas and lives at the Rice Hotel. He is a widower and has no children.
Mr. Harris is a member of the following clubs: Houston, Houston Country, Lodge No. 151,
B. P. O. E., Lotos, Bankers. He belongs to the Southern Society of New York and is a past
exalted ruler of the Dallas Elks. His hobbies are hunting and fishing.
HERMAN F. HEEP
OIL and gas producer, was born April 2, 1899, at Buda, Texas. After graduation from the
Buda high school, he attended Texas A. & M. then matriculated to the University of
Wisconsin. In 1927 Heep married Miss Harriette Paine Lopez and has one daughter, Mary
Lou. Is a member of the Houston Club and Chi Psi Fraternity. When not at home, 2169 Troon
Road, he will be found with his favorite hobbies—farming and cattle raising.
ABRAM CLAUDE HOWARD
IN the natural and manufactured gas business, was born at Annapolis on March 21, 1880. He
attended St. John's College at Annapolis and the United States Naval Academy. On February
20, 1912 he was married to Miss Margaret V. Witham. Mr. and Mrs. Howard live at 5105
Main street and have four children. Mr. Howard belongs to the American Gas Association,
Army and Navy Club at Washington, D. C, Military Order of Carabad, Germantown Cricket
Club of Philadelphia, Society of Gas Lighting, New York, and was an officer in the Spanish-American
War. He belongs to the Episcopal church and has swimming and boating for his
GENERAL JOHN A. HULEN
RAILROAD man and soldier, was born in Centralia, Mo., September 9, 1871. He began
his railroad connections in 1907 when he became city passenger agent for the Frisco lines.
Mr. Hulen is vice-president of the H. B. & T. Railway and receiver of the T. & B. V. Railway.
He is major general in charge of the Texas National Guard, Thirty-sixth division. He married
Miss Frankie L. Race in 1893, and lives at 1706 Main street. Mr. Hulen is a member of the Houston
Country Club, the Houston Club, the Turnverein, B. P. O. E. No. 151, and Knights of
Pythias. He was lieutenant-colonel of the First Texas Cavalry in the Spanish-American War,
and commanded the 36th Division in France during the World War.
EDWARD J. HUSSION
PRESIDENT of the Standard Printing and Lithographing Company, was born at Galveston, in
1876. He was educated in the public schools and married Miss Zuleika Jenkins of Galveston
in 1897. Mrs. Hussion died in 1914. One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Hussion. He is a
member of the Houston Club, the Houston Country Club, Brae Burn Country Club, the Knights
of Columbus and honorary member Veterans of Foreign Wars. His hobbies are golf, baseball
and races, and he lives in the Lamar Hotel.
VICE-PRESIDENT and general manager of the Rio Bravo Oil Company, was born in Houston,
December 25, 1883. He married Miss Queene Mignon Cameron on March 21, 1908,
and lives at 2301 Wentworth street. Is a member of the Episcopal church and of the R. O. C.
Club, Houston Club, Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E., Knights of Pythias, D. O. K. K., A. F. & A.
M., A. I. M. E.-A. P. I., Houston and Geological Club. His hobbies are raising fancy chickens and
playing tennis and golf.
JAMES MADISON JOHNSON
LAWYER, with offices in the State National Bank Bldg. at Houston, was born at Lawrenceburg,
Tennessee, June 2nd, 1891. He received his education at Sam Houston State Teachers
College, graduated in 1913; Texas A. and M. College; graduated 1920, and the University of
Texas. He married Miss Lilly Anders of Huntsville, Texas, October 2, 1913. Mr. and Mrs.
Johnson are the parents of one son, J. M. Johnson, Jr., and live at 1107 Fugate Ave. Mr. Johnson
is a member of the Texas A. and M. and University Clubs, he is also a member of the Masonic
Lodge, a Knight Templar and Shriner. He is affiliated with the Baptist denomination. His
great hobby is duck hunting.
JESSE H. JONES
BANKER, lumberman and builder. Born in Robertson Co., Tenn., April 5, 1874. Attended
the public schools. Came to Dallas in 1894, where he worked for M. T. Jones Lumber Co.
Was general mgr. Three years later, directed the company business at Houston for seven years.
In 1902 organized South Texas Lumber Co., The Texas Trust Co. in 1909, consolidated it with
Bankers Trust Co. in 1911. In 1920 this was supplanted by the Bankers Mortgage Co., of which
he is Pres. and Board Chairman. He built the Rice and Lamar Hotels, Chronicle, Kirby, Gulf
and many other buildings. Is President of the National Bank of Commerce and Houston Chronicle
Pub. Co. He is a member of the Bankers Club, Sleepy Hollow Country, Scaraborough-on-Hudson
and Blind Brook Country Clubs, all of New York and other Eastern and Houston clubs.
He secured the National Democratic Convention for Houston in 1928 and was Treasurer of
National Democratic Executive Committe in 1924.
JOHN HENRY KIRBY
LUMBERMAN, born in Tyler Co. Nov. 16, 1860. Taught by his mother, had one term in a
country school and one year at Southwestern U. Studied privately and became a clerk in
the Legislature from 1882 to 1884. Admitted to bar in 1885. He entered the lumber business
and in 1890 headed the two largest timber companies in Texas. Built the G. B. and K. C. R. R.,
afterward selling it to the Santa Fe. Organized $10,000,000 Kirby Lumber Co. and $30,000,000
Houston Oil Co. The Kirby Co. controls the largest hardwood holdings in the U. S. Member
of Harding's Unemployment Conference, and on Brazilian Com. Pres. of Natl. Lumber Mfgr's
Assn. and timber director of Emergency Fleet Corp. during the war. Is a 32nd Degree Mason,
Knight Templar, Shriner, and member of many Houston Clubs. Married Miss Lelia Stewart
Nov. 14, 1883, and has one daughter.
SETH SCOFIELD LAMB
STOCK and bond broker, was born in Galveston in 1895. He completed his education at
Southwestern University, Georgetown, Texas, and married Miss Pauline Gray in 1926.
He is the father of one child. Mr. Lamb is associated with Seth Lamb & Company. He is a
Baptist church member and belongs to the following clubs: Houston, River Oaks Country, Rotary,
Houston Yacht, and Polo. He likes to handle horses, both show and riding.
CLARENCE OSCAR LAMBERTH
COTTON man, was born at Negreet, La., on September 1, 1884. He was educated in several
public schools in Louisiana. He married Miss Willie Mae Jackson on December 24, 1906.
The couple have three children. Mr. Lamberth is manager of the square bale buying department,
Anderson, Clayton and Company. He lives at 2221 River Oaks Boulevard. He is a
member of the Masonic lodge, Holland No. 1; Shriners, Arabia Temple, the Houston Country
Club, River Oaks Country Club and the Baptist Church. His hobby is golf.
LESLIE A. LAYNE
OIL and water well supplies manufacturer and developer of water wells, was born in Hurley,
South Dakota October 10, 1890. His father, a well-known waterwell driller, moved to Texas
in 1902. Mr. Layne went to work in his father's shops in 1907 and since that time has held almost
every position in the company. He married Miss Lula Mae Williams in 1909 and the couple
have three children. The Layne family lives at 1528 Kirby Drive. Mr. Layne is president of
Layne & Bowler Company, manufacturers of oil and water well strainers and supplies and of the
Layne-Texas Company which contracts to supply water and develop wells. He is a Houston
Yacht Club member and an ardent speed boat enthusiast, his Dixie Baby and Miss Dixie Baby
being well known competitors in races. He also hunts, fishes and cruises on the Southern Breeze,
a yacht driven by a gasoline motor. He was educated at San Jacinto High School and at Kinkaid
school. He is a contributor to the Salvation Army and to the Evangelistic Temple.
THOMAS P. LEE
OIL operator and prominent Republican, was born at Petroleum, West Virginia, on March
19, 1871. He was educated in the common schools of West Virginia and got into the oil
business when he was 16. Mr. Lee married Miss Essie M. Horton on April 24, 1900, and is the
father of six daughters. He came to Texas in 1903 and was with the Texas Company until 1914,
when he became president of the Republic Producing Company. He is vice-president of the
State National Bank. He is a Thirty-second Degree Mason, a Shriner, and a member of A. F. &
A. M. He belongs to the Houston Club and the Houston Country Club. His hobbies are hunting
J. W. LINK
PRESIDENT of Dr. Pepper Company, was born December 1, 1868, in Gallatin, Tennessee.
He attended public schools and completed his education at Baylor University. Mr. Link
married Miss Ihna Holland on October 21, 1891, and is the father of live children. He lives at
819 Lovett boulevard and belongs to the Houston Club. His hobbies are work and performing
his duties at 10, 2 and 4.
A. J. (ART) LONG
OIL operator, was born in Milwaukee, Wis., July 26, 1894. Attended the University of Nebraska,
the A. & S. Commerce and Law school. He married Miss Anna Rudd Mayes of
Galveston on June 8, 1918. Mr. and Mrs. Long who live at 104 Hathaway street, have one
daughter. Mr. Long served as first lieutenant of the 19th Infantry in the World War and is now
captain of the 180th Infantry Brigade, 90th Division. He is a member of the Catholic Church
and his hobby is engaging in activities of the Republican party.
SAM R. MERRILL
ATTORNEY in the law firm of Merrill and Grinstead, was born December 24, 1876, in Collin
County. He completed his education at the University of Texas. He was married to Miss
Della Triplett on April 26, 1906 and is the father of five children. Mr. Merrill is a member of the
Baptist Church and is a Shriner and Thirty-second Degree Mason. He belongs to the River Oaks
Country Club and Houston Club. Golf is his hobby. He lives at 3382 Del Monte drive, and
has offices in the Esperson Building.
ROBERT JOHN MILLER
OIL well equipment executive, was born in Houston, May 9, 1896. He was educated in the
public schools and in business college. He began his career as a newsboy, then worked as
a Western Union messenger for three years. For three more years he was cashier for the N. O.
Nelson Manufacturing Company. At the Lucey Manufacturing Company he became sales manager
after remaining with the company eight years. He married Miss Marion Pauline Burge
of Houston on March 20, 1920, and is the father of two children. He served as Color Sergeant,
111th Field Signal Battalion, 36th Division, during the World War from April 14, 1917 to June
19, 1919. Mr. Miller is president of Robert J. Miller Company, oil well equipment dealers, and
of the Oil Field Specialty Company; also a director of the Burge Manufacturing Company.
Mr. Miller is Past Commander, 111th Field Signal Battalion Association. He is a member of the
Methodist Church. He is a member of the Houston Yacht Club; president of the Exchange
Club of the Cinema League of America; member Temple Lodge No. 4, A. F. & A. M.; Ruthven
Commandery No. 2, Knights Templar, and Arabia Temple. He lives at 2511 Inwood drive.
WALTER C. MOORE
OIL and real estate man, was born October 8, 1857, in Harris County. He went to work
at the age of 14 as delivery and counter clerk and cashier for the Western Union. From
1878 to 1892 he was station agent for the Southern Pacific. Mr. Moore married Miss Emma D.
Perryman in April, 1886, and is the father of four children. He organized the Moore-Cortes Canal
Company, the Trinity Rice Land and Irrigation Company, the Texas Rice Development Company,
the Palacios Townsite Company, the Hardy Oil Company and other corporations. He
is a Mason, a Knight Templar, a Shriner, an Elk and a steward in the First Methodist Church.
ROBERT BUCKNER MORRIS
OIL man and United States Collector of Customs for the Southern District of Texas, was
born in Houston December 9, 1864. He was educated in Houston public schools, Russell
Military Institute at New Haven, Connecticut and in Yale University. Mr. Morris owned and
operated a motion picture theater in Quanah when the industry was in an undeveloped stage.
He was vice-president of the Planters and Mechanics National Bank for six years. For twelve
years he has been president of the Morris Investment Company. He is a life member, Holland
Lodge No. 1, A. F. & A. M., Thirty-second Degree Scottish Rite Mason, life member Arabia
Temple of the Shrine, member Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E., a charter member of Houston's Kiwanis
Club and a member of the Sons of the Republic of Texas. He married Miss Elizabeth Hecker
October 12, 1921. Mr. Morris is an Episcopal church member. His hobbies are fishing and
LAWYER, was born in Hillsboro, Texas, July 18, 1892. He completed his education with
five years at Texas University, graduating with an LL.B. in 1914. He practiced law from
1914 to 1918 at Hillsboro, moving to Dublin in 1918 where he was a member of the firm of
Hickman and Morrow until 1922. He moved to Austin and practiced law there, being made first
assistant attorney general under Governor Moody in 1925. Mr. Morrow resigned nine months
later to become general attorney for the Fidelity Trust Company. He was married to Miss
Genevieve Bowman on April 27, 1916, and is the father of two daughters, Genevieve and Nancy.
He is a member of Sigma Chi Fraternity and of Phi Delta Phi Honorary Legal Fraternity, Houston
Club, University Club.
WILEY C. MUNN
MERCHANT and president of W. C. Munn Company and the Houston Land and Development
Company, was born near Jefferson, Texas, on November 9, 1861. His parents came
to Texas in 1842. He was educated in the private school of Professor R. P. Decherd, in Hill's
Business College and at Baylor University. He entered the mercantile business in Weimar
in 1885, moving to Houston to become a member of the firm of Mistrot-Munn in 1906. In 1912 he
bought out his partner and organized his present store. Mr. Munn is a Mason and a member of
the Second Baptist Church. He belongs to the Shrine, Houston Club, the Houston Country
Club, and the Glenbrook Country Club, and is president of the Houston and Harris County
Drainage Association. He married Mrs. Margarette Spencer May 12, 1923. Mr. Munn is the
father of five children. His hobbies are merchandising, drainage and golf.
J. W. NEAL
BANKER, was born at Fountain Run, Kentucky, on January 12, 1865. He completed his
education at Glasgow College, Kentucky, and married Miss Lizzie H. Mitchell June 22, 1893.
The couple have one child. He formerly was associated with the Cheek-Neal Coffee Company
but now is chairman of the board of directors, Second National Bank. Mr. Neal lives at the
Warwick Hotel. He is a member of the Houston Club and the Houston Country Club and
belongs to the Second Baptist Church.
WILLIAM L. PEARSON
CAPITALIST, was born in Bristol, England, on September 13, 1884. He took a Bachelor of
Science degree from the University of Michigan in 1905, graduating in engineering. He is
president of W. L. Pearson & Company and vice president of the Buhmann Lumber Company.
Mr. Pearson married Miss Ruey M. Webster of Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1905 and is the father
of four children. He is a member of the Houston Club, the River Oaks Country Club and is a
Mason and a Shriner. He belongs to the Congregational Church and has golf and work for his
hobbies. His contracting company has built the Stowers Building, Baptist Sanitarium, Cotton
Hotel and other Houston buildings.
JOHN FREDERICK B. RAWCLIFFE
LUMBER and oil man, was born in Philadelphia October 11, 1886. He was educated at
Gilbert's Academy, Pennsylvania Military College and the University of Pennsylvania. He
married Miss Bess Kirby and lives at 911 Lovett Boulevard. He is an Episcopal Church member
and belongs to Arabia Temple and the following clubs: Houston, Houston Country, River Oaks
Country and Houston Riding and Polo. Mr. Rawcliffe is vice-president and treasurer of the
Kirby Lumber Company and president of the Kirby Petroleum Company. His hobbies are
fishing and foot-ball.
JUNIUS WESLEY REYNOLDS
LUMBERMAN, was born at Jacinto, Mississippi on July 19, 1871. He was educated in private
schools. On August 23, 1906, he married Miss Nanie B. Job of Old Danville Mississippi. The
couple have three children. He entered the lumber business early in his life. He is president of
the Reynolds-West Lumber Company, Inc., and the Foster Buchmann Lumber Company, and
vice president of the Sabine Lumber Company. Mr. Reynolds is a Methodist church member
and a member of the Houston Club, the Lumbermen's Club, the Yacht Club and the River
Oaks Country Club. His hobbies are fishing and golf and he lives at 3312 Austin street.
ARTHUR ALBERT ROSENFELDER
SALES engineer, was born in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania on June 24, 1883. He was educated
in John Marsh and Bowen schools in Chicago. He married Miss Della M. Wilfe and is
the father of six children. He lives at 4620 McKinney avenue and is the president of the Rosenfelder
Machinery Company, Inc. Mr. Rosenfelder belongs to the Presbyterian church and is a
member of the Engineer's Club, Knights Templar, Arabia Temple and A. A. O. N. M. S. His
hobby is selling machinery.
REV. J. N. R. SCORE
WAS born April 21, 1896, and is pastor of St. Paul's Methodist Church at Houston, Texas.
He was educated at Scaritt Morrisville College, Emory University, New College, University
of Edinburgh and Pacific School of Religion. On Jan. 12, 1921, he married Margaret Ruth Smith.
Mr. and Mrs. Score have one son, J. N. R. Score II. He is a member of the Houston Lion's
Club and a Mason and member of the Antithesis. His principal hobby is golf.
WALTER B. SHARP
MANUFACTURER of oil field specialties, was born at Dallas, November 8, 1897. He married
Miss Patty Hall Summis in 1922, and the couple have one child. He is an Episcopal church
member and belongs to the Houston Country Club and Tejas Club. His hobbies are hunting,
and playing tennis. Mr. Sharp lives at 2402 Crawford street and is president of the Mission
HARVEY S. SMITH
OIL OPERATOR, was born at Beaumont on September 5, 1893. He was educated in the
Beaumont schools, is a bachelor and lives at 2915 Blodgett street. He is a Methodist church
member and belongs to the Houston Yacht Club. Mr. Smith is president of Harvey S. Smith
Inc., oil operators and the Mutual Land and Investment Company. His hobbies are yachting,
fishing and handling bird dogs.
HENRY THOMAS STAITI
OIL, sulphur and natural gas man was born at Marshall on February 12, 1876. He went to
the public schools and Marshall College, later going into the oil business. Mr. Staiti was
one of the first oil prospectors and producers in the state. He married Miss Odelia Riesner of
Waco on April 17, 1901. He is president of the American Sulphur Royalty Company of Texas,
the Petroleum Producing Company, the Powhatan Oil Company, and the Valley Oil Corporation;
president and treasurer of the Milam and Leeland Realty Company, and vice-president of
the Texas Exploration Company, and the Universal Sulphur Products Company. Mr. Staiti
belongs to the following clubs: Houston, River Oaks Country, Houston Country, Houston
Yacht, and Galveston Country. He is a life member of the Royal Society of London and belongs
to the Knife and Fork Club and Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E His hobby is flowers.
FRED R. SWITZER
LAWYER in the firm of Vinson, Elkins, Sweeton and Weems, was born August 6, 1883 a
mile and a half from Woodville post office in Macon County, Missouri. He completed his
education at the University of Missouri. He is a bachelor and belongs to the Unitarian Church.
Mr. Switzer is a member of Lodge No 151, B. P. O. E., Knights of Pythias, and Dramatic Order
of the Knights of Khorassan. His hobby is doing that which no one else has the time or inclination
to do. He lives at 401 Anita avenue and his office is in the Esperson Building.
JOHN HENRY TEER
VICE-PRESIDENT and general manager of Layne and Bowler Company, was born at Lufkin,
January 28, 1888. He was educated in the public schools of Lufkin. He married Miss Ella
French of Lufkin. Mr. Teer is the father of two children, Eugene and Nace Teer. Mr. Teer is
a Mason, a Shriner, member of Scottish Rite and Rotary Club. He belongs to the Second Baptist
Church. His hobbies are hunting, fishing and playing golf.
JAMES HOWARD WEST
VICE-PRESIDENT of Fogle-West Company, was born at Groveton, August 12, 1883.
He attended high school and Sam Houston Normal College at Huntsville. He married Miss
Stella Powell and is the father of one child. He is a member of the Baptist church and has no
hobbies, lodge or club memberships. Mr. West lives at 815 Sul Ross avenue.
ROBERT WITHROW WIER
LUMBERMAN, was born July 4, 1873, in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana. He went into the
lumber business in Whitecastle, Louisiana, at the age of 23. In 1905 he organized the
Central Lumber Company with yards in Houston and Beaumont.
Mr. Wier is president of the Wier Long Leaf Lumber Company and the R. W. Wier Lumber
Company. He is vice-president and director of San Jacinto Trust Company, director of Union
National Bank, the Houston Lighting and Power Company, Southern Drug Company, Beaumont,
Sour Lake and Western Railway, and is trustee of the Hermann Hospital estate. He
married Miss Mary Randolph Norwood on July 14, 1925, and has two children. Mr. Wier is
past exalted ruler of Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E., past president of the Lumbermen's Club, member
of the Houston Consistory, Scottish Rite, a Thirty-second Degree Mason, Knight Templar,
Arabia Temple of the Shrine. He also belongs to the Houston Club, Houston Country Club,
River Oaks Country Club and the Kiwanis Club. He is a member of Christ Church. His hobbies
are hunting, fishing, golf and work.
THOMAS P. WIER
LUMBERMAN, was born November 11, 1882 in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana. He went to
public schools and to the school of experience. On June 29, 1918 he married Miss Elinor
Jones, and is the father of a boy and girl. Mr. Wier is secretary-treasurer of the R. W. Wier
Lumber Company and the Wier Long Leaf Lumber Company. He is a steward in the First
Methodist Church and belongs to Holland Lodge No. 1, Kiwanis and Salesmanship Clubs, Houston,
River Oaks Country, and Houston Country Clubs, Lodge No. 151, B. P. O. E., Arabia
Temple, and is a Thirty-second Degree Scottish Rite Mason. He likes to play golf in his spare
REESE ALLEN WOLFE
OIL and gas drilling contractor and operator, was born at Washington Court House, Ohio,
in 1884 and has been actively engaged in the production of oil and gas in the Southwest
for many years. Mr. Wolfe married Miss Goldie Rae Baker October 28th, 1907. Mr. and
Mrs. Wolfe live at 2424 Courtland Drive, Houston, and have five children. Mr. Wolfe's great
hobby is hunting and fishing in the Gulf Coast waters.
JACOB F. WOLTERS
LAWYER, political leader and brigadier general commanding the 56th cavalry regiment, was
born at New Ulm in Austin County, September 2, 1871. He was educated in the public
schools of Schulenburg and before he was 21 was admitted to the bar. Served as Fayette County
attorney and member of the state legislature from Fayette County. He married Miss Sallie
Drane of Columbus on April 25, 1893, and has two children. He served in the First Texas Cavalry
during the Spanish-American War. As commander of military forces under martial law he
sustained the civil authorities at Galveston in 1920, at Mexia in 1922 and in Borger and Hutchison
County in 1929. He was commissioned brigadier general in the United States officers' reserve
corps in 1921. The 41st Texas legislature by unanimous vote passed a resolution extending to
him the thanks of the state and awarded him a gold distinguished service medal. The medal
was granted for “meritorious military service to the State of Texas in time of peace.” General
Wolters is a member of the Episcopal church. He belongs to the Masonic lodge, Houston Country
Club, Houston Club, University Club, and Houston Turnverein.